Our BetterMost Community > BetterMost People

Gay Outlaws Andrew & James - A True Love Story

(1/7) > >>

Kerry:

Andrew Scott
alias
Captain Moonlite

They say that truth is often stranger than fiction. We are very familiar with the tragic tale of our own beloved star-crossed lovers, Jack and Ennis. Let me tell you a true story about two equally tough, knock-about young men, who met and fell in love a hundred years before Brokeback.

One hour before the handsome, charismatic outlaw Andrew Scott, alias Captain Moonlite, was hung on 20 January 1880, he asked that he be laid to rest beside the grave of gang member and best friend, James Nesbitt. This wish was not to be granted until more than one hundred years later when Sam and Christine, two women from the New South Wales town of Gundagai, became interested in Andrew’s letters, and the possibility of a gay relationship between the two men.

Andrew’s heart’s desire was to lie beside his best friend for eternity. His last words were, “I ask that my body be given to my friends. I want to be buried in Gundagai (where James was buried).” In his letters, he was more specific, “I am to die on the 20th instant, and hope that I may rest with my friend (James). The only thing I long for is the certainty that I may share his grave.” Sam and Christine began to investigate how they could go about granting Andrew’s final wish.

It was a very romantic thing for them to do. Some might say they were having some kind of imaginary, esoteric love affair with Andrew, by the time he was exhumed and laid beside James. Certainly, Andrew was a handsome man. He was also very articulate, intelligent and well-educated. And he was capable of being a baaaad boy, too! What wasn’t there to like?

Here’s Sam’s account of the story, as recounted in the ABCTV program “George Negus Tonight,” broadcast on 14 June 2004:

“It was just basically granting someone’s wish and the wish of someone who I believe was executed unfairly and unjustly. It was righting a wrong for me. Captain Moonlite was Andrew George Scott. Andrew gave himself the romantic outlaw alias of Captain Moonlite, which was latched onto by the press of the day. He came to Australia from Ireland in 1868. He actually started as a lay preacher at Bacchus Marsh, a Victorian town. I think it was very much to his liking. He could ride horses and engage in pistol shooting. And by all accounts, he was very charismatic. He was good looking – intense blue eyes, that wonderful Irish brogue.

The bank at Mount Egerton was robbed one night. Hardly anyone saw anything. The bank manager was later charged, but he was acquitted. Years later Andrew was charged. He was found with the gold in his possession. He pleaded that he was not guilty. He paid a terrible price for it. He was sent to Pentridge Prison in Melbourne. James Nesbitt was in Pentridge at the same time for theft, and they formed a very close friendship. He was his dearest, truest friend. He wrote to James’ mother and said, “We have a pure, real, true friendship.” I believe he was his soul mate. Certainly, in his letters, Andrew referred to James in terms that would suggest he was gay.

He got out of prison early, after serving 7-odd years of a 10-year sentence, for good behaviour. He linked up with James, starting what he hoped was a new career in lecturing on prison reform, something he felt very passionately about. But the authorities shut him down. He had too much to tell. He realised he had to get out of Victoria, get away from the persecution. So he linked up with a group of other young men. They actually walked into New South Wales, where they were hoping for better times. Unfortunately, NSW was gripped in a terrible drought and unemployment was very high. Luck was against them. They’d heard of Wantabadgery ranch, renowned for its hospitality. They were hoping to get food, shelter, perhaps work. Unbeknown to them, it had changed hands. They were cruelly turned away. It was absolutely the last straw. I think that they had pinned all their hopes on finding food and shelter there, and something snapped. They came back the next morning, held up the ranch. Rumours reached the police in nearby Wagga Wagga that the Kelly Gang (a notorious outlaw gang) had invaded. Over a period of three days, they took 35 people hostage. Andrew treated the women with respect, though some of the men he roughed up. None of the men were shot. He could have. I think in the circumstances, he was probably quite restrained. The police turned up the next morning. Four constables only were sent. Short gunfire. Police fled.

At McGlede’s hut, the final shoot-out took place between Andrew, his mates and the police, heavily reinforced after they left Wantabadgery ranch. It was a scene of great excitement and confusion. It was here that James Nesbitt, the youngest bushranger, Augustus Wernicke, and Constable Bowen were all shot dead. Andrew and the surviving gang members were tried in Gundagai and in Darlinghurst (in Sydney), charged with the murder of Constable Bowen. Andrew represented himself, and how hard must have that been, two of his friends just recently buried in Gundagai Cemetery, one his dearest friend. There were times they said he was so emotional that he had to stop and collect himself. He denied that he fired the shot that killed Constable Bowen. “Though not guilty of the blood of anybody, I am ready to suffer for their sakes and answer for breaking the laws of the country,” he declared.

He was sentenced to hang. He used his time in the condemned cells. He wrote volumes – absolute volumes. Letters – letters to so many people. I think he was really, in my mind, trying to square up all his debts, make his final goodbyes. And his letters were all about justice and friendship. They were what moved me in the end, his letters.

He was hanged on 20 January 1880 at Darlinghurst Court in Sydney. After that, he was taken to what is now Rookwood Cemetery and buried in the Anglican part of the cemetery, and there he lay for 107 years, before his last wish was granted. He was exhumed and re-interred in Gundagai Cemetery. He is now within a few feet of James Nesbitt and Augustus Wernicke. Constable Bowen is not too far away – far enough to be separate – so that they are all laid to rest in the same place now.”

I can’t help hoping that maybe one day Jack and Ennis, just like Andrew and James, might also rest together – perhaps have their ashes combined and scattered to the winds, together again, forever, on Brokeback.

(The ABCTV program “George Negus Tonight,” broadcast 14 June 2004, is gratefully acknowledged)

Lynne:

--- Quote from: Kerry on December 16, 2006, 08:03:34 am ---In his letters, he was more specific, “I am to die on the 20th instant, and hope that I may rest with my friend (James). The only thing I long for is the certainty that I may share his grave.” Sam and Christine began to investigate how they could go about granting Andrew’s final wish.

It was a very romantic thing for them to do. Some might say they were having some kind of imaginary, esoteric love affair with Andrew, by the time he was exhumed and laid beside James
--- End quote ---

Whatever their motives, you're right that it was a romantic (and kind) thing for them to manage to get his burial accomplished as he wished.  And it could not have been an easy thing for them to manage.  Thanks for posting this story, Kerry.

-Lynne

Kerry:

--- Quote from: Lynne on December 16, 2006, 08:28:20 am ---Whatever their motives, you're right that it was a romantic (and kind) thing for them to manage to get his burial accomplished as he wished.  And it could not have been an easy thing for them to manage.  Thanks for posting this story, Kerry.

--- End quote ---

Apparently it was a very difficult thing for them to accomplish. And costly, too. Many thousands of dollars, I believe. Which they gladly did for justice sake.

Kerry

one_of_one:
That was an amazing story, thanks for sharing it :)

mvansand76:
Thanks for posting this, Kerry, this would make an awesome novel, don't you think?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version